Welcome to the Mastery Academy Program!
Through this program we are encouraging great teaching and learning strategies through interest based projects which the student will proudly share at the end of each semester.
Four different MAPS complete a two-year cycle of student adventures in learning. We invite all grade levels to journey through the MAP.
Each MAP is completed over three months.
In the fall semester, the months are September, October, November.
In the spring semester, the months are February, March, April.
How to Start
Step 1: Print MAP
- Determine which MAP you will be completing. They should be completed in order starting with MAP 1. Print one MAP for each student in your family, and add the student's name.
- MAP 1 is linked HERE
Step 2: Decide Topic of Study
Decide the topic of study that you will learn about for the next three months and write that in the “I am exploring…” section.
- Make sure it is broad (such as chemistry, a novel studies of one author, Civil War), and something that has enough content for three months of study.
- Break the topic into three main focuses of study (one for each month).
- Here is an OPTION in case you need to break a topic down by month and aren’t sure how (though parents can break this down in any way they desire)
- MAP strategies will be used during the learning time on that topic for all three months and the strategies will build to develop amazing student learning habits.
- At the end of each month, the students will create a product based on their learning. Completing an essay/writing piece is a required product for at least one of the months. The other two could be anything, such as: model, diorama, slide show, lap book, art piece, music piece, etc. Each month completed will be concluded with an award certificate from the teacher as well as a small token such as a sticker, or bookmark, etc.
Step 3: Use Weekly Resources
- Use the weekly resources to help you prepare for the daily learning strategy. Before starting week 1, watch the video for the corresponding week and look over the resources.
- Resource folder organized by MAP, month, and weeks
- These are also linked and available on our website. Each month focuses on a different strategy which build on each other. By the third month, you are using all three!
- These videos are very short and will guide you in helping your student with the daily strategy for learning.
- Each week there will be a new corresponding video to help you with the daily strategy for learning.
Step 4: Check it Off!
- As you and your student(s) work through the MAP, please add the date for each day that the student completes their daily practices.
- To earn their certificate, students need to complete their daily practices at least 3 times per week and also complete the monthly projects.
- Please continue to watch the corresponding videos and review any resources for each week. Each month will have a different instructional focus and by the third month, the students will be completing all three daily practices each day with their lessons.
Step 5: Show it Off and Celebrate!
- Hurray! You completed the MAP! At the end of each semester, students will have an opportunity to show off their projects. A virtual showcase will be an option. Students will show and talk about their three month projects and the learning that happened to other students, teachers, and parents. This helps our students practice presentations, share knowledge, and practice listening and speaking skills.
- In addition, they will be invited to a special fun event where we can have fun together and celebrate their success.
- Month 1: Stating Learning Objective (What are we going to learn?) (Resources)
- Month 2: Speaking in Complete sentences (sentence frames) (Coming Soon)
- Month 3: Checking for Understanding (What have I learned?) (Coming Soon)
MAP 2 - Coming Soon!
- Activating prior knowledge
- Vocabulary development in two areas:
- Conceptual vocabulary (compare, identify, etc.)
- Subject-specific vocabulary
MAP 3 - Coming Soon!
- Questioning techniques
- Including graphic representations/organizers in note-taking and studies
- Incorporate metacognitive strategies- verbal and nonverbal cues
MAP 4 - Coming Soon!
- Demonstration of modeling to conclude lessons
- Cultural affirmation and multicultural perspective
- How to collaboratively learn in a homeschool environment